So we always have times (some more than often) where we just lose our mojo and can’t be bothered putting in the graft. But if you want to be successful then you’re going to need to put in the work. Success waits for no-one and it’s especially not going to hang around just because you’re tired, hungry or wishing you were on the beach.
No matter what you’re goals are, both personal and professional, if you want to succeed you’re going to have to keep this 12 tips in mind.
- First and foremost you need to drop the mantra that you need to be waiting for ‘the right time to do things’. Stop procrastinating, bite the bullet and just go for it. The time is NOW.
- Focus on progress over perfection. No artist writes a song and it becomes an instant hit straight away. There’s usually years and years of struggle, attempts, failures before they reach the big time. But the main thing is they learn from every little thing and build upon what they’re learning time and time again.
- Make a list of all the things that distract you and take your time away from the important stuff. If you’re friends are constantly badgering you about going to the pub or spending time with them, set aside one day a week or month that you can dedicate to them. They can like it or lump it.
- Set aside time for the boring tasks like admin and replying to emails. If you give yourself an hour each morning where you’re dedicated solely to working your way through your messages, you’ll set yourself up for a productive day. Don’t just revert back to them at various points throughout the day. That’s counterproductive as you’ll get side-tracked.
- Similarly, set aside an hour each evening where you take a break and indulge in a hobby. Maybe watch an episode of your favourite TV series, take a bubble bath or read a book. It’ll stop you feeling burnt out.
- If you’re struggling to make ends meet, why not get up an hour early. I know it’s easier said than done but if you repeat it for a week or two, it will become a habit. Your body will naturally want to wake up at that time.
- Focus on one task at a time. Don’t start several tasks all at once thinking that you’re some supersonic multitasker. You’ll just stress yourself out and it wont end up being your best work.
- Sip water throughout the day. And maybe nibble on fruit instead or sweets and crisps. If you eat healthy, you’ll feel good and feeling good whilst you’re working will show in your work. You also won’t feel like shit towards the end of the day.
- Make sure you get some fresh air. If you’re working from home, make sure you actually take a lunch break where you go outside and enjoy some vitamin D. Or take your work to the park or coffee shop. It’s nice to be outdoors and you might gain inspiration from the things and people you see.
- Digital detox. I do this every night without fail. It hits 10pm and I turn off my phone, laptop, Ipad, all of it. If there’s something I’ve forgotten to do it has to wait until morning. My mind and body thanks me for it.
- Incorporate a morning workout. You’ll be surprised what those endoprphins can do- especially for brain power and inspiration.
- Push yourself out of your comfort zone. It’s true that nothing great ever came from comfort zones. It’s easier said than done, but once you’ve started to challenge your comfort zone and see the rewards, you’ll do it without even thinking. You’re going to achieve greatness.